Friday, July 25, 2008

Pioneer's Bible Update: Married to My Bible



July 2008
Dear friends and family,

David, a young Aruamu man from Niapak village showed me his New Testament, which was marked up and smudged, and said, "It's like I'm married to my Bible; I read it all the time. I am HUNGRY for God."

It was such a blessing to be out in the Aruamu area. Nathan and I, together with Sue Ellen and Bobby Wrenn (sent by Cornerstone Christian Church in Dallas, TX) had a very full time in the village. We have deeply appreciated your prayers and encouragement.

This was the first time I was able to see many of my Aruamu friends since the New Testament dedication, so many happy reunions and visits were had. It was wonderful to be able to introduce Nathan to the Aruamus -- his 10,000 new in-laws!

It was also wonderful to me to see Aruamus USING the Word, and being faithful in their walk with the Lord.

Our main focus of our time here has been Scripture-in-Use. The Aruamus held Evening Crusade Meetings and they asked me to speak for those. They were attended by around 400 people. Bobby Joe held Leadership Training classes for church leaders, with a focus on how to study the Bible. Sue Ellen held a Women's Workshop, which focused on Chronological Bible Storying, using Bible Story Scarves which had pictures of many Bible Stories. Each woman went home with her own scarf, so she can continue telling stories in her own circle of influence. Nathan led two guitar classes, both beginning and intermediate. I led two Literacy Classes.

I was able to meet together with the entire Aruamu Literacy Committee and Translation Team for a day, to plan and strategize. The men divided up into teams and went, with Bobby Joe driving the 4 wheel drive truck, to each of the 39 Aruamu churches to drop of a case of New Testaments, which they are responsible to sell. Also they arranged for teams of Aruamu Literacy Committee teachers to lead 3 different Scripture-in-Use workshops in August. The Aruamu translators are continuing to work on the Old Testament.

Nathan was able to spend daily time on going around the village to learning more Melanesian Pidgin. Before we left, the Aruamus had a feast to say good-bye and we'll see you next year, when we hold the 2009 Scripture-In-Use Meetings.

Blessings,
Marsha (Relyea) Miles(for Nathan and our whole clan)

No comments: